- Except Bhutan & Nepal Nationals all foreign nationals including children MUST obtain a visa to travel to India
- Please do not finalize your travel arrangements to India before ascertaining the visa requirements.
- Validity of Visas is effective from the date of issue and not from the date of entry into India
- The Embassy of India, Kathmandu reserves the right to delay/refuse visa without assigning any reasons. Visas are issued subject to various checks and clearances. Visa fee once deposited will not be refunded.
- The Embassy of India, Kathmandu reserves the right of granting and deciding type of visa / duration of visa / number of entries, irrespective of the fees rendered.
- Passport must be valid for a minimum period of six months and in cases of long term visas, at least till the duration of the visa requested for.
- Acceptance of visa application does not necessarily mean grant of visa.
- Suppression of facts or furnishing misleading/false information will result in denial of visa without assigning any reasons.
- Granting of visa does not confer the right of entry which is subject to the discretion of the Immigration Authorities.
- Canvassing for visa, suppression of material facts or submission of forged / false documents is a disqualification. Overstay of visa or violation of visa rules is a disqualification for grant of future visa.
- No objection letter from either of the parents is required if a minor is traveling with one parent.
- If the minor is traveling alone or with relatives, consent letter signed by both the parents is required
- Visa applications of non-resident foreign nationals will be entertained for short term Tourist visa (3 month or 6 month/single entry). They are advised to obtain long term Tourist visas and other categories of visas from the country of their origin.
VISA SERVICE: General Information
- With effect from 19.11.2012 all visa applications submitted at the Indian Visa Service Centre (IVSC) (i.e. by the ordinary passport holders) and at the Embassy of India, Kathmandu (i.e. by Diplomatic, Official and UNLP passport holders) will only be accepted in the online form.
- From 17.09.2009, Embassy of India, Katmandu has authorized Nepal SBI Bank to operate Indian Visa Service Centre' (IVSC) at the following address:
Indian Visa Service Centre (IVSC)
House No.296, Kapurdhara Marg, Kathmandu
(Adjacent to Indian Embassy, Kathmandu)
Tel: 009771-4001516, Fax: 009771-4001517
E-Mail: email@example.com, Website: http://nepalsbi.com.np/content/indian-visa-service-center-ivsc.cfm
- Online visa applications can be submitted at the visa counter of the IVSC between 0930 hrs to 1200 hrs on all working days. Processing time is 7-10 days or even more depending on the visa regulations laid down by the Embassy of India, Kathmandu.
- Delivery of passports affixed with visas can be collected next day from the counter of the IVSC between 1500 hrs to 1700 hrs on all working days.
GUIDELINES FOR APPLYING & OBTAINING MANDATORY ONLINE VISA
- Visit Embassy of India, Kathmandu website www.indianembassy.org.np. Click on “Visa & Passport” on the Home page of the website and then click on “Visa” for general information/instructions on visa and type of visa, you wish to apply. You will find all relevant information pertaining to the visa category selected therein. You may then click on the hyperlink “Online Visa Application” to be redirected to the Government of India Visa Online Application Website: www.indianvisaonline.gov.in for the online visa application form.
- Carefully note down the Temporary Application ID number (15 characters) consisting of numbers and alphabets, which will be displayed immediately on the Government of India Visa Online application form. This can be saved to retrieve your application and continue in case you wish to complete part of the application later.
- Complete the application online. You will receive a Web Reference Confirmation Number. The completed Government of India Visa Application form will open up in PDF format at this stage. Save the form and print out the same for submission to the Indian Visa Service Centre, House No.296, Kapurdhara Marg, Kathmandu (Adjacent Embassy of India, Kathmandu) on the next day.
- When filing the Online Form, please do ensure that all details entered are accurate. The option to edit text is not available once the form has been saved and printed. In such a case, a new form needs to be filled with all correct information entered.
- You can use either an Ink-Jet or Laser printer to print the completed Visa Application Form once you have submitted online.
- This site is best viewed in Internet Explorer (Windows) version 8.0 and above.
- You must also have Adobe Acrobat Reader version 7.0 or a higher version installed on your computer in order to download and print the completed application form.
- Once you have completed your online application form, please save, print and sign and present it along with the supporting documents and passport for scrutiny and processing of visa to Indian Visa Service Centre, Kathmandu on the next day.
- Submission of all relevant documents mentioned in the checklist on the website is important for acceptance of the visa application at the Indian Visa Service/Embassy of India, Kathmandu.
- It is a mandatory requirement to ensure that your photo is 2 inch x 2 inch (51mm x 51mm) in size with white background. Photos which do not meet this specification will not be accepted. Detail requirements regarding the photo can be found in the Indian Online VISA Site.
- The online visa application form should be filled at least one day in advance of submission of application form print-out at the Indian Visa Service Centre/Embassy of India, Kathmandu.
- In case of any difficulty in filling up of visa application forms, applicants may please call our Indian Visa Service Centre Tel: 00971-4001516.
Information regarding Online Visa Application is also available at the website of Indian Visa Service Center, Kathmandu - http://nepalsbi.com.np/content/indian-visa-service-center-ivsc.cfm
- Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, it may take several minutes to download the initial and completed copies of the form/s.
- Once you have completed your online application form please ensure that you bring a hard copy of the completed signed form with you when visiting the Indian Visa Service Centre. Incomplete applications or those signed by other than the applicant or containing incorrect information are liable for rejection without any claim for fee refund. Applications can be submitted in person or through their representative/s.
On first day of visit to the IVSC
- Produce your online visa application and your passport for scrutiny and processing of your visa request.
- Collect your receipt and note the date for your next visit.
- Keep the fee receipt carefully. Present the same during your subsequent visit.
- Transit visa will be granted on the next day of submitting the online visa application form.
Important Notice for Agents
- In the part of “applicant contact details” on the online visa application form, the applicant is required to fill the personal contact number on the online application form. The visa application form containing agent contact number instead of applicant contact number can not be accepted at India Visa Application Centre.
THE ONLINE VISA APPLICATION - FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
Question: What information will I need to complete the application?
Answer: Information needed on the India Visa Application is as under:
- Personal information: Name, Last name at birth (If different), Marital Status, Gender, Date of birth, Place of birth
- Spouse information (if married): Maiden name, Name, Nationality
- Nationality: Current nationality, Acquired by birth or by naturalization
Nationality at birth, Any other nationality held at present/past
- Educational Qualification, Religion (you may choose not to disclose)
- Present address: Street number, City, State, Zip
- Permanent address: Street number, City, State, Zip, Country
- Contact numbers: Home phone, Cell phone
- Profession and details if you are traveling on behalf of a company.
- Employer information: Name, Address, City, State, Zip, Country
- Passport information: Passport number, Date of issue, Date of expiration
- 11. Details of any other Passports/Identity Certificate held
- Parents information: Father/Mother's name, nationality Parents or Grandparents (paternal and maternal) held Pakistan Nationality? (If yes): provide detail
- Visa information: Visa Type, Number of entries, Places to visit, Object of Journey
- Visited India before (if yes): Addresses visited, Cities visited, Consulate that issued visa
- Have you ever been refused an Indian visa before? (if yes): Provide details
- Are you holding a valid "No objection" to return to India endorsement? (If yes): Provide details
- Have you worked with Armed Forces: provide organization, place of posting, designation/rank.
- Expected Date of departure from Nepal to India, Port of arrival in India
- Reference information in India: Name and address of reference in India
- Reference information in Nepal: Name, address and phone number of reference in nepal
- Countries visited in the last 10 years
Question: What do I choose for Indian Mission?
Answer: Your Indian Mission is the location of the processing site where you will submit your application.
Question: What do I enter if I don’t have a 'Citizenship or National ID number'?
Answer: Please enter 'NA'. Do not enter your social security number, insurance number or driver's license number.
Question: There is no place for me to enter my middle name. Where do I type it in?
Answer: Enter your middle after your first name in the Given Name field.
Question: I am an unemployed adult. What can I enter under 'Profession'?
Answer: Choose 'Other' and in the 'Employer Name and Address' field, please enter 'None'.
Question: I am completing a form for my baby who does not have a profession. What can I enter?
Answer: Choose 'Other' and in the 'Employer Name' field, please enter 'NA minor child'. If you child is going to school, please choose 'Student' under profession.
Question: The options under 'Profession' does not include my job. What can I do?
Answer: You have the option to choose 'Other' and in the 'Designation/Rank' field, specify your job title.
Question: How do I answer 'Any other valid Passport/Identity Certificate(IC) held?'.
Answer: If you possess any other passport, travel document or Identity Certificate that is valid and issued to you by the country of your current nationality or any other country, answer yes and provide the required details. If not, answer no.
Question: I am not comfortable disclosing my religion. What can I do?
Answer: You have the option to choose 'Others' and in the field below that, enter NA.
Question: If I completed the online application, but I did not print copy of my application, what should I do?
Answer: We suggest you check your email with our Online Visa Registration Details from the Indian government website webmaster. This email will contain your Web File Number. Choose continue with registration and on the next page, choose the grey 'RePrint' button on upper right hand corner of the screen. If you continue to encounter issues, you are allowed to complete a new online application.
Question: What can I do if I am having trouble completing the online visa application?
Question: Can I save my application, and come back to it later?
Answer: When you begin an application online, you will be provided with a Temporary Application ID which is usually 15 alphanumeric digits. Using this Application ID and temporary password, you will have up to seven days to complete your application. You can resume a partially completed application by going to the online India visa application, choose "Continue Registration". On the following page in the upper right hand corner, enter your Temporary Application ID number and choose "Go". Please remember that if you do not complete your application within seven days, your application will be deactivated and you will have to start a new application.
Question: Is there a different version of the application that can be faxed or emailed to me?
Answer: You must use the online application form. The form is bar coded and will store your information securely for faster processing. No handwritten application forms will be accepted.
Question: I made a mistake on my visa application, how should I correct it?
Answer: Mistakes made on your online visa application cannot be corrected. Please ensure that all information is complete and that passport information is entered exactly as it shown on your passport.
If you continue to encounter issues, you are allowed to complete a new online application.
BRIEF INFORMATION AND REQUIREMENTS ON VARIOUS CATEGORIES OF VISA:
Documents required for all type of Visa:
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of Nepalese visa
- Copy of previous Indian visa
I TOURIST VISA (TV):
- As per the extant instructions of the Government of India, a Tourist Visa can only be granted to a foreigner who does not have a residence or occupation in India and whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sight-seeing, casual visit to meet friends and relatives etc.
- No other activity is permissible on a Tourist Visa.
- It is non-extendable and non-convertible to other types of visas and its misuse would entail deportation by Indian authorities. It may also entail denial of visa by the Mission.
- Tourist visa, maximum period of 6 months validity, will be granted to the foreigners.
- Repeated applications for Tourist visa will not be entertained.
eTourist Visa (eTV)
Government of India has launched the eTourist Visa (eTV) scheme to facilitate foreign travelers visiting India. The citizen of 113 countries can apply online (https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html) for tourist visas (twice a year, each visit not exceeding 30 days, visa duration non-extendable except in the event of medical emergencies) which shall be granted within 72 hours through email. The applicant is expected to take a print of the email and can travel to India through 16 designated international airports (Ahemdabad, Amritsar, Bangalore, Chennai, Kochi, Delhi, Goa, Gaya, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Thiruvananthapuram, Thiruchirapalli and Varanasi). The list of countries whose nationals are eligible for the above facility is as under:
• Antigua & Barbuda,
• Cayman Island,
• China- SAR Hongkong,
• China- SAR Macau,
• Cook Islands,
• Costa Rica,
• Dominican Republic,
• East Timor,
• El Salvador,
• Marshall Islands,
• New Zealand,
• Niue Island,
• Papua New Guinea,
• Republic of Korea,
• Republic of Macedonia,
• Saint Christopher and Nevis,
• Solomon Islands,
• Sri Lanka,
• St. Lucia,
• St. Vincent and the Grenadines,
• Turks and Caicos Islands
• Vatican City-Holy See,
PURPOSE AND VALIDITY OF TVoA ENABLED BY ETA
• Foreigners, whose sole objective of visiting India is recreation, sightseeing, short duration medical treatment, casual business visit, casual visit to meet friends or relatives etc. not valid for any other purpose/activities.
• Entry into India within 30 days from the date of approval of ETA.
• Valid for 30 days stay in India from the date of arrival in India
• Allowed to enter and depart from any of the 16 Airports viz Ahemdabad, Amritsar, Bangalore, Chennai, Kochi, Delhi, Goa, Gaya, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, Thiruvananthapuram, Thiruchirapalli and Varanasi.
• Cannot be availed more than twice in a calendar year.
• Foreigners of above countries who hold an ordinary passport with minimum six months validity.
• Foreigners traveling on passport other than ordinary passport such as Diplomatic, Official, Special and Service passports are not eligible for TVoA service.
• Should not have a residence and occupation in India
• Travelers should have return ticket or onward journey ticket with sufficient money to spend during his /her stay.
• International travelers having Pakistani Passport or Pakistani origin may please apply for regular visa at Indian Mission.
INFORMATION / INSTRUCTIONS FOR TOURIST VISA ON ARRIVAL(ENABLED BY ETA):
• Applicants may apply online at https://indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/tvoa.html
• TVoA links may also be found in website of Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Home Affairs, Ministry of External Affairs & the Bureau of Immigration. The online application should be submitted minimum 4 days in advance and maximum 30 days of proposed date of travel.
• Recent front facing photograph with white background and photo page of Passport to be uploaded while applying.
• A fee of US $ 60/-(+ bank transaction charges) per passenger to be paid online for the grant of ETA for Tourist Visa-on- Arrival.
• Fee once paid is not refundable under any circumstances
• Decision on TVoA Application will be conveyed by e-mail. Therefore applicants are advised to ensure that correct e-mail address is provided.
• Applicant can also track the status of their application online on the TVoA website by selecting the link “VISA STATUS”, and entering their Application ID Number and Passport Number.
• Applicant should carry a copy of ETA along with him/her at the time of travel.
• Tourist Visa on Arrival once issued is non-extendable, non-convertible & not valid for visiting Protected/Restricted and Cantonment Areas.
• Biometric details of the applicant will be mandatorily captured at the TVoA counter at the Airport on arrival in India
• This facility is in addition to the existing Visa Services.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO BE SUBMITTED ONLINE ALONG WITH APPLICATION
• Scanned page of Passport containing photo and personal details.
• The digital photograph to be uploaded
• Photo should present full face, front view on white background.
• No shadows on the face or on the background.
VERIFICATION BY AIRLINES WHILE ISSUING BOARDING PASS TO ETA HOLDER
• Traveler holding ETA arrives at Airline Counter.
• Carrier/Airline checks the genuineness/ validityof ETA in the TVoA website
• Once ETA is verified, the Carrier/Airline will issue Boarding Pass to the ETA holder.
II BUSINESS VISA (BV):
It is mandatory for an Business Visa applicant to be a resident in Nepal for at least 2 years
- Business Visa- Business Visa needs to be obtained from Indian Mission of the country of origin of the applicant or from the country of domicile of the foreigner provided the period of permanent residence of that applicant in that particular country is for more than two years.
- Business visa will be granted to a foreign businessman who wants to visit India to establish an industrial/business venture or to explore possibilities to set up industrial/business venture.
- Business visa will also be granted to a person who intends to visit India for purchase and sale of industrial products.
- It is generally granted for short visits to India for engaging in business or attending business meeting/negotiations.
- Undertaking employment with BVis illegal.
- This visa is to be used for short visits and not for continuous stay in India for engaging in business.
- Business visa will not be granted to foreign nationals coming for executing projects/contracts in India.
- A foreign national coming for executing projects/contracts will not be granted Business Visa. They may apply for grant of Employment Visa in Indian Mission in country of origin of the applicant.
- In respect of family members of a foreign national who is granted Business Visa may apply for grant of an ‘X’ visa (i.e. Dependent Visa). The validity of ‘X’ Visa could be co-terminus with the validity of the principal Visa holder.
- Appropriate document endorsing business involved in is necessary which include the following:
- Company Registration Certificate
- Position held by the applicant in the company
- Invitation letters from company in India or a letter from applicant’s company sponsoring the business visit to India indicating nature of applicant’s business, probable duration of stay, places and companies in India to be visited, are to be enclosed.
- Copy of Business Registration Certification issued by the Nepal authorities should be enclosed along with application.
III STUDENT VISA (SV):
- Granted for study only in Government of India recognized educational institutions/Colleges for foreigners to pursue a recognized course.
- Before seeking admission, Students are advised to confirm production of documents relating to recognitions of the institute/college for study by foreigners and recognition of the course. .
- Student visa is granted only for full term of the course.
- Certificate issued by the educational authorities in India, should indicate the full term of the course as well as the relevant year in which the applicant would be pursing the course.
- Submission of proof of Academic records in respect of education completed will be necessary. Evidence of admission to the Institute/Course from recognized University / Board (Indicate name of Institution/address/Tel & Fax no. & e-mail/website address)
- Certificate as a student if already pursuing studies in India
- Photocopies of relevant academic certificates on the basis of which admission is sought or has been obtained and satisfactory evidence of financial support - bank guarantee / letter of support from parent / guardian
- Student should also produce evidence of transfer of funds for at least 4 months sustenance in India
- Tourist Visa is not convertible to Student Visa. Seeking admission /studying in India under Tourist visa is illegal
- A provisional student visa for 3 months will be issued on the basis of provisional admission certificate/letter of offer issued by the university/recognized college or educational institution in India. If the admission is not given/ confirmed within the stipulated period, the student will have to leave India
IV EMPLOYMENT VISA (EV)
It is mandatory for an Employment Visa applicant to be a resident in Nepal for at least 2 years
- Copy of the Contract/Agreement of Employment with the Indian employer in Senior Managerial/Executive positions or jobs needing very special skills, will be necessary.
- Proof of registration of the company under relevant provisions of the Government of India rules,
- A letter from the employer indicating nature of the job, salary structure and duration of hire
- Justification letter from the employer for proposing to hire a foreigner should be submitted. Proof of qualifications and work experience of the applicant also need to be enclosed.
- The spouse and children accompanying the applicant would be issued the visa only after the applicant obtains employment visa. The copy of the applicant‘s employment visa should be attached with the spouse/children application along with a copy of marriage/birth certificate/s.
- Employment visa is extendable in India by Immigration Department. Registration is mandatory.
V TRANSIT VISA (TRV)
- It is granted for the sole purpose of enabling a foreigner to travel through India to reach his ultimate destination.
- Validity of Transit Visa is 15 days and stay should not exceed 03 days
- For stay in India beyond 03 days, appropriate visa must be obtained.
- Applicant must submit detailed travel plans along with his/her form and produce confirmed tickets.
VI RESEARCH VISA (RV)
- The foreigner who desires to undertake research in India should apply to the concerned Indian Mission with the subject of research projects, details of places to be visited, previous visits, whether the scholar has secured admission into recognized or reputed institutions and evidence of financial resources.
VII CONFERENCE VISA (CV)
Following Documents are required to be attached along with the application for a Conference Visa:
- Invitation letter from the organizer.
- Security clearance from the Ministry of Home Affairs, Govt. of India.
- Administrative approval of the nodal Ministry.
- Political clearance from the Ministry of External Affairs, Govt. of India.
- Clearance from the State Government/UT concerned.
VIII JOURNALIST VISA (JV)
- Applicants representing recognized print/electronic media and visiting India on professional work must apply well in advance.
- Interview is mandatory for Journalists while applying for visa including for Tourist Visa.
IX ENTRY VISA (XV)
- Granted to spouse of Indian nationals, particularly those who want to live in India with their Indian wife/husband. Permanent place of residence of the Indian national in India is necessary.
- Spouse of the Indian national must enclose along with the application form, a copy of the Indian passport of his/her spouse with the applicant’s name duly endorsed in the Indian passport, along with a copy of the marriage certificate. Original registered marriage certificate should be produced at the time of visa application.
- XV is also issued to spouse and children of foreign nationals who have been issued with Business/Employment Visa
- XV is extendable in India.
X MEDICAL VISA (MV) & MEDICAL ATTENDANT VISA (MXV)
Applicants going to India for medical treatment need to submit the following:
- Original medical papers indicating appointment and requirement for treatment in India
- Medical papers showing current medical treatment in Nepal with details
- Details of hospital/clinic where the applicant intends to seek treatment or has been referred to by doctors in Nepal
REGISTRATION OF FOREIGNERS IN INDIA
It is necessary when a foreigner intends to stay in India continuously for a period beyond 180 days. It is mandatory in respect of foreigners visiting India on Student/Employment/Research/Entry/Medical/Medical Attendant Visas.
- The registration has to be done within 14 days of his/her first arrival with the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) in India.
- Registration is not endorsed on passport and acceptance of disembarkation card on arrival by Immigration officials does not amount to registration. A separate Certificate of Registration / Residential Permit (RP) is issued by Immigration officials in India on fulfillment of certain conditions.
- The registration document is required to be shown to the Immigration officials at the port of departure, every time, while departing India. It is required to be surrendered to the immigration officials at the port of departure at the time of last departure, when another immediate visit on the same visa is not anticipated
- For more details log-on to”www.immigrationindia.nic.in”.